Prof. Aloke Kanjilal is an expert in thin film deposition and characterization. He has made fundamental contributions in various fields ranging from memory to optoelectronic devices. His expertise in materials synthesis and various analyses techniques for studying morphological, structural, chemical, electronic, transport and optical properties in variety of materials are the advantage for successful execution of various frontline problems. He received extensive experience in growth and modification of materials by ion beam technique from the time of his PhD at the Department of Physics in Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. He was also engaged in developing low-energy ion-beam facilities, and has been involved in understanding the mechanism behind the formation of ion beam induced self-organized nanopatterns on semiconductors and other materials surfaces. He is a recipient of prestigious Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship and has been elected as a Member of National Academy of Sciences India (MNASc). He is also an Alumni of Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, Germany, and is Lifetime Members of Indian Physics Association (IPA), Materials Research Society of India (MRSI), Ion Beam Society of India (IBSI), Indian Physics Teachers Association (IPTA), Electron Microscope Society of India (EMSI). He published more than 85 articles in reputed international journals and conferences on novel experimental results and ideas of processing and characterization of nanoscale materials and devices. He has two German patents. He is at present actively working on oxide materials and their uses in resistive switching devices, sensors, radiation detectors, light emitting devices, and solar cells.
My research interests are interdisciplinary in nature that deals with a variety of outstanding problems in science and technology. The effort is centred on physics and engineering, involving ideas, techniques, and conundrums from other fields such as material science, ion beam physics, optics, magnetism and chemistry. The motivations are the following:
- Synthesis and (structural, optical, transport or magnetic) characterization of nanostructures (such as quantum dots, nanotubes, nanowires, nanorods, nanocrystals etc.), thin films and/or low-dimensional heterostructures, and composite materials.
- Integration of the nanoscale materials including 2D materials for developing powerful electronic, photonic, optoelectronic and magnetic devices.
- Processing of emerging materials, and to carry out interdisciplinary research in the broad areas of flexible electronics, nuclear reactors and renewable energy with special emphasis on photovoltaic materials and radiation detectors.
- Defect engineering at surfaces and interfaces of thin films for exploring novel physical properties.
- Materials under extreme environment including ion beam exposure.
- “Blue-violet electroluminescence of Er-doped SiO2 with Ge nanocrystals” on 19th Feb. 2015 at Current Trend in Condensed Matter Physics organized by National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar, India (Contributory invited talk).
- “Extreme ultraviolet reflectivity of Ru mirrors: Effect of secondary electrons” on 23rd June, 2015 at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam engineered self-organized nano-channels in TiO2 layers for resistive switching application” at Low Energy Ion Beam Facility Workshop at Inter University Accelerator Centre (IUAC) on 3rd November, 2015 (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam produced TiOx nanochannels for developing resistive switching memory devices” at International Conference on Nanostructuring by Ion Beams (ICNIB-2015) in Agra on 24 November 2015 (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam technique for developing nanoscale resistive switching devices” at 2nd National Workshop on Ion Beam Induced Growth and Engineering of Materials (IBIGEM-2016) at Kurukshetra University on 5th March 2016 (Invited talk).
- “Development of Resistive Switching Devices by Ion Beams-1 & 2” at International Workshop on Ion Beams in Materials Science on 25 and 27th September, 2016 at Inter University Accelerator Centre (IUAC), New Delhi (Invited talk).
- “Self-organized TiOx nano-channels for memory application” in an international conference, called International Conference on Functional Oxides and Nanomaterials (ICFON-2016) on 11th November 2016 at Saurashtra University, Rajkot (Invited talk).
- “Self-organized nanochannels in TiO2 films for resistive switching device application” in International Conference on Thin Films (ICTF-2017) at National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi from 11-17th November, 2017 (Oral).
- “Application of metal oxide nanostructures for ion beam dosimetry” in a thematic workshop on Techniques & Instrumentation in Materials Research (TIMR) organized jointly by UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research (CSR), Indore and Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (DAVV), Indore at UGC-DAE CSR during August 21-22, 2017 (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam engineering of TiO2-based resistive switching devices” in an International Conference on Nanostructures by Ion Beam (ICNIB 2017) at Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyaalya (DAVV) (University), during October 11-13, 2017 (Invited talk).
- “Challenges in silicon solar cells and their modifications by ion beams” in the International School on Ion Beams in Energy Materials (IBEM) at IUAC, New Delhi on 13th July, 2018 (Invited talk).
- “Implanted ion species driven controlling performance of TiO2-based resistive random access memory devices” in the 5th International conference on Ion Beams in Materials Engineering and Characterizations, held at IUAC, New Delhi on 9-12 Oct 2018 (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam engineered TiO2 films for resistive random access memory devices” in the Two Day National Conference on Recent Advances in Condensed Matter Physics, held at Kurukshetra University on 12-13 Oct 2018 (Invited talk).
- “Ion beam engineering of nanoscale resistive random access memory devices” in the International Conference on Emerging Advanced Nanomaterials (ICEAN-2018) held at Newcastle Exhibition and Convention Center, Newcastle, Australia from 30th Oct. to 2nd Nov. 2018 (Invited talk).
- “Thermoluminescent nanostructured alumina for ion beam dosimetry” in the International Conference on Physics, Society and Technology 2019 (ICPST-2019) held at Delhi University on 17-19 Jan. 2019 (Invited talk).
- “Self-assembled Nanoscale Resistive Switching Devices” in the International Symposium on Advances in Functional & Biological Materials (ISAFBM-2019) organized by Humboldt Academy Lucknow and Physics Department, University of Lucknow and held at Hilton Garden Inn., Gomti Nagar, Vibhuti Khand, Lucknow on 28th Feb. 2019 (Invited talk).
- “Investigation of chemical and electronic properties of low dimensional TiO2 films” in Indus Synchrotron User’s Meeting (ISUM) at Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyaalya (DAVV University), during March 27-30, 2019.(Invited talk)
- “Advancement in memory devices in defence perspective” at Joint Cypher Bureau (JCB) laboratory of DRDO, M G Marg, Civil Lines, Delhi on 28th Aug. 2019 (Guest Lecture).
- “Exploration of metal oxide microstructures in futuristic devices” in the 12th Asia-Pacific Microscopy Conference (APMC12), held at the Hyderabad international convention centre from 3-7 Feb. 2020 (Contributory Invited talk).
- “Establishing the potential of anodized and thin film alumina for radiation dosimetry” in the International Web Conference on Recent Advances in Nanoscience & Nanotechnology for High-end Applications (IWCRANHA-2020), organized by Department of Applied Science and Humanities, Assam University Silchar from July 25-26, 2020 (Invited talk).
- “Fundamentals and frontier applications of low dimensional semiconductors” in the Short Term Course through Virtual Mode on the “Journey from Semiconductor Physics to Smart Devices to Intelligent Automation” organized by NIT Srinagar in collaboration with Semiconductor Society of India during 1-5 May 2021 (Invited Lecture).
- “Ion beam dosimetry of self-patterned alumina films” in the E – Workshop for skill development on energetic beam technology: From materials engineering to diagnostics, organized by Amity Institute of Nanotechnology on 23rd June, 2021 (Invited Lecture).
- “Engineering Materials at Nanoscale for Frontier Applications” in the international conference on mechanical engineering and managerial applications for productivity enhancement and marketability (MMPM 2021) organized by the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Department of Management Studies, MANIT Bhopal on 16th Sept 2021 (Keynote Lecture).
- “Challenges and opportunities of nanomaterials in futuristic devices” in the 12th International Conference on Material Processing and Characterization (ICMPC-2021) at NITTTR Chandigarh (India) in Online mode on 9th Oct. 2021 (Keynote speaker).
- “Challenges and opportunities of nanostructured alumina for ion beam dosimetry” in a lecture organized by SPIE IIT Bombay Student Chapter on 20th Oct. 2021 (Invited talk).
- “Advantage of synchrotron radiation for investigating metal oxides nanostructures” in One Day Discussion Meeting on Materials Science with Synchrotron Radiation Source on 22nd Oct. 2021 (Invited talk).
- “Probing artificial synapse in TiO2-based memristors by doping Ni cations” in The XXIst International Workshop on the Physics of Semiconductor Devices (IWPSD 2021) jointly organized by the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi and Solid State Physics Laboratory, Delhi from 14 - 17 December, 2021 (Invited talk).
Outstanding Research Award During The Circle Of Excellence Award Ceremony Held On April 6, 2021 On The Special Occasion Of 10th Anniversary Celebration Of Shiv Nadar University
“Self-organized nanochannels in TiO2 films for resistive switching device application” in International Conference on Thin Films (ICTF-2017) at National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi (Best Paper Presentation Award).
Research Excellence Award for the FY2013-14 from Shiv Nadar University, India
Alexander von Humboldt research fellowship awarded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Bonn, Germany
Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia (INFM) Research Scientist Fellowship granted by INFM-CNR, Italy
3rd prize for poster presentation for the title Silicon dioxide layers with embedded germanium nanocrystals in 1st annual iNANO meeting, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Merit-Cum-Means award granted by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi, India