Dr. Priya Johari joined Physics department of Shiv Nadar University in 2012. She obtained her Ph.D. degree in Physics from I.I.T. Bombay in 2006 and master degree in physics from Jai Narain Vyas University, at Jodhpur, Rajasthan, in 2001. Just after submitting her Ph.D. synopsis, she joined as a post-doctoral research assistant at University of Leoben, Austria (2006-2008) in the Department of Material Science. Between 2008-2009, she worked in the Department of Physics at I.I.T. Bombay as a post-doctoral research associate, and later (2009-2011) she worked as post-doctoral research associate at the Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA. Dr. Johari has major interest in studying materials which hold promising applications in enhancing the technology in the field of opto-electronics, space, energy storage/generation, biomedical, defense, and space. This includes rational designing of novel materials and extensive study of the known potential materials and their properties, as well as search for possible methods to tune their properties. The interdisciplinary nature of this study will be useful in bridging several research areas like condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, energy science, material science, nano-science and technology, and bio-science and technology. She has published 26 articles in peer reviewed journals and has presented her work in several national and international conferences.
- PHY103: Fundamentals of Physics I (Undergraduate Course)
- PHY104: Fundamentals of Physics II (Undergraduate Course)
- PHY105: Computational Physics I (Undergraduate Course)
- PHY106: Computational Physics II (Undergraduate Course)
- PHY301: Classical Mechanics (Undergraduate Course)
- PHY506: Review of Classical Dynamics (Graduate Course)
- PHY563: Computational and Numerical Analysis (Graduate Course)
- PHY573: Characterization of Materials (Graduate Course)
- PHY552: Nano Materials (Graduate Course)
- PHY599: Explorations in Research (Graduate Course)
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
- Quantum Chemistry
- Material Science
- Energy Science
- Nano Science and Technology
- Electronic, Structural, and Optical Properties
- Inorganic, Organic, and Hybrid Crystals
- Low-dimensional Materials
- Batteries and Solar cells
- Interfaces/thin film Growth
- Code development
- Dwaipayan Chakraborty (Ph.D., synopsis submitted)
- Dip Das (Ph.D., Joint student with Prof. Aloke Kanjilal, synopsis submitted)
- Surajit Adhikari (Ph.D.)
- Madhu Pandey (Ph.D. funded by JRF from MES-DST Project)
- Abhiroop Paul (UG student, undergrad thesis submitted)
- Ashwin Deepa (UG student, undergrad thesis submitted)
- Akhil Potukuchi (UG Student, undergrad thesis submission pending)
- Nishant Abhishaik (UG Student, undergrad thesis submitted)
- Raja Sen (defended Ph.D. in 2019, would shortly be joining post-doc in the group of Prof. Nathalie Vast at Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France.)
- Farjana Sonia (Collaborative student, Research Advisor: Prof. Amartya Mukhopadhyay, currently working at Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic)
- Shivani Singh (Collaborative student, Research Advisor: Prof. Sagar Mitra, currently working at IISER Pune as a Senior Project Associate)
- Kasturie D. Jatkar (UG student, graduated in 2019, currently pursuing Ph.D. Physics at Stockholm University, Sweden)
- Vidur Mithal (UG student, graduated in 2020)
- Uttam Italiya (UG student, graduated in 2020)
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Computationally Predicted Materials for Clean and Efficient Energy Applications”, Priya Johari, Invited talk at “Symposium on Emerging Materials”, SNU, India, held on August 12, 2017.
- “The Unexplored Thermodynamically Stable Li-SN”, Priya Johari, Invited talk at 10th International Conference on Computational Physics, Macao, held during January 16-20, 2017.
- “The Unexplored Thermodynamically Stable Li-SN Compounds at Ambient and High Pressure”, Priya Johari, Invited talk at IUMRS-ICYRAM2016, Bangalore, held during December 11-15, 2016.
- “Prediction of novel thermodynamically stable lithium-tin binary compounds at ambient and high pressure”, Raja Sen and Priya Johari, Raja Sen selected for oral presentation in APS March Meeting, held during March 13-16, 2017 at New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- “A meticulous study of promising anode materials for Li-ion batteries”, invited talk at Indo-US Workshop on Recent Advances in Multiscale, Multiphysics Analysis of Energy Conversion in Li-ion Batteries”, IIT Bombay during June 17-19, 2016.
- “Computationally Predicted Materials for Energy Generation and Storage Devices” P. Johari, invited talk at ICAER 2015, IIT Bombay on December 17, 2015.
- “Novel Materials for Energy Applications: Molecules to Bulk”, P. Johari, Invited talk at “9th USPEX Workshop”, Potiers, France, June 25-30, 2015.
- “Exploring potential materials for opto-electronic and energy applications”, P. Johari, Invited talk at “8th USPEX Workshop”, U. P., India, January 20-24, 2015.
- “Modulation of Properties of Nanomaterials: An Ab-Initio Study”, P. Johari, Invited talk at “Aligarh Nano IV International Conference”, March 2014.
- Invited to contribute in Hands-on session on Quantum Espresso Code at MASTANI Workshop at Pune, June 2014.
- “Modulation of Properties of Nanomaterials: An Ab-Initio Study”, Priya Johari, Invited Talk at First National Conference on Mapping the “Materials Genome”, held at Shiv Nadar University from March 8-10, 2013.
- “Ab-initio computations of Si anode in Li-ion batteries”, P. Johari, Y. Qi, and V. B. Shenoy, talk given in General Motors Review Meeting, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA (July, 2011).
- “Li and Si diffusion in Si anodes in Li-ion batteries: An ab-initio molecular-dynamics-based study”, P. Johari and V. B. Shenoy, talk given by V. B. Shenoy at APS March Meeting, Dallas, Texas (March 2011).
- “Ab initio study of interface energetics of organic molecule-metal junctions”, P. Sony, P. Puschnig, D. Nabok, and C. Ambrosch-Draxl, talk given at European Materials Research Society, Strasbourg, France (May 2008).
- “Importance of Van Der Waals Interaction for Organic Molecule-Metal Junctions”, P. Sony, P. Puschnig, D. Nabok, and C. Ambrosch-Draxl, talk given by Dmitrii Nabok at APS march meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (March 2008).
Awards and Recognizations:
- Active reviewer of Scientific Reports, ACS, RSC, Wiley, IOP and Elsevier Journal's papers such as: Nano Letters, ACS Nano, Chemistry of Materials, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Advanced Energy Materials, Nanoscale, Nanotechnology, RSC Advances, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Journal of Physica D: Applied Physics, Computational Materials Science, Energy Storage Materials, etc.
- “Role of the Edges and Outer Surfaces of Graphenic Structure on its Li-Storage Behavior”, Farjana J. Sonia, Priya Johari*, M. Aslam*, and Amartya Mukhopadhyay*”, poster presentation by Faraja J Sonia in Annual meeting of Material Research Society India (MRSI) held at IIT Bombay from February 13-15, 2017.
- Contributed to the development of USPEX code by including the code to calculate Electron Energy Loss Spectrum (EELS) in the USPEX package (http://han.ess.sunysb.edu/EELS/)
- One of our article: "Tuning the electronic properties of semiconducing transition metal dichalcogenides by applying mechanical strains", P. Johari* and V. B. Shenoy, ACS Nano 6, 5449 (2012) , has been listed as Top 10 Articles in the domain since its publication
- An article, “Weak force-strong effect”, published in third volume, 20th issue of Nanomaterials News, which was all about our research work published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 176401 (2007).