Dr. Susanta Sinha Roy obtained his M.Sc in Physics from Calcutta University and Ph.D. from Jadavpur University, India. Dr. Roy has teaching experience in courses of materials science and engineering, bio-medical engineering and molecular spectroscopy. He has expertise on three research areas: i) Nanomaterial synthesis and characterisation, ii) Physics of fluid flow in micro-channel, iii) Dielectric and electrochemical measurements. He has supervised five Ph.D. students and seven Masters students, published two book chapters, over hundred research papers in peer reviewed journals of international repute, presented seventy conference papers and completed four sponsored projects. He has collaboration with national and international centers of excellence in research including, University of Alberta, Canada, Ulster University, UK, IIT Mumbai, Hasselt University, Belgium and University of Witwatersrand, South Africa.
Materials structure and property, Thermodynamics, Biomedical Physics, Nanomaterials and Nanophysics, Experimental techniques for material characterization. Heat and Mass Transfer. Fluid and Solid Mechanics, Visible and Invisible Light Waves, Electrodynamics.
Materials: Graphene, carbon nanotube, oxide ceramics, nanocomposite, liquid crystals, polymer composite, nanofluid, inorganic nanowire such as ZnO, Si.
Processing: Deposition (physical vapor deposition and chemical vapor deposition, etc.) and growth phenomena in thin films, nanotube, nanowire, graphene. Substrate film interactions and their control. Surface modification, nanostructure, nano-electrode by FIB. Micro/Nanofabrication using soft, UV and nanoimprint lithographic techniques.
Structure: Nanomaterials structure and morphology by SEM, TEM, XRD and AFM. Bonding configuration by Raman, X-ray photoelectron and NEXAFS spectroscopies. Size effects on functional properties of nanomaterials. Clamping effects on the structural, mechanical and electrical behavior of the materials. Role of surface defect in deposition mechanism.
Physical Property: Dielectric, electrical conductivity, electrochemical, optical, nanomechanical properties, stress and elastic properties, fluid flow characterisation and heat transfer property.
Applications: Carbon based devices for nanoelectronics, sensors and energy applications. Smart carbon coating on polymer and biomedical devices. Microfluidic device and fuel cell.
Selected Publications ( For details https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=xveBsvEAAAAJ&hl=en)
- “Novel π-conjugated iron oxide/ reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites for high performance electrochemical supercapacitors”. Gourav Bhattacharya, Ganeshlenin Kandasamy, Navneet Soin, Ravi Kant Upadhyay, Sujit Deshmukh, Dipak Maity and Susanta Sinha Roy. RSC Advances (2016) DOI:10.1039/c6ra25630a (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Experimental and theoretical analysis of a hybrid solar thermoelectric generator with forced convection cooling.” Sundarraj, Pradeepkumar, Robert A. Taylor, Debosmita Banerjee, Dipak Maity, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 50, no. 1 (2016): 015501. (Impact Factor: 2.772)
- "A facile method for the deposition of thermally stable diamond like carbon thin films via carbon dioxide precursor gas." Ray, Sekhar C., Gourav Bhattacharya, Mark A. Miller, Sweety Sarma, Ravi Kant Upadhay, James A. McLaughlin, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Diamond and Related Materials (2016). (Impact Factor: 2.125)
- "Application of oil-swollen surfactant gels as a growth medium for metal nanoparticle synthesis, and as an exfoliation medium for preparation of graphene." Upadhyay, Ravi Kant, Prashant R. Waghmare, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Journal of colloid and interface science 474 (2016): 41-50. (Impact Factor: 3.782)
- "Oil swollen surfactant gel based synthesis of metal oxides nanoparticles: An attractive alternative for the conventional sol gel synthesis." Upadhyay, Ravi Kant, Santanu Pan, Anjan Barman, James A. McLaughlin, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Ceramics International (2016). (Impact Factor: 2.758)
- “Growth, structural and plasma illumination properties of nanocrystalline diamond-decorated graphene nanoflakes.” .Sankaran, K.J., Chang, T.H., Bikkarolla, S.K., Susanta Sinha Roy., Papakonstantinou, P., Drijkoningen, S., Pobedinskas, P., Van Bael, M.K., Tai, N.H., Lin, I.N. and Haenen, K., RSC Advances 6 no 68 2016: 63178-63184. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Plasma modification of the electronic and magnetic properties of vertically aligned bi-/tri-layered graphene nanoflakes." Ray, Sekhar C., Navneet Soin, Way-Faung Pong, Susanta Sinha Roy, André M. Strydom, James A. McLaughlin, and Pagona Papakonstantinou. RSC Advances 6, no. 75 (2016): 70913-70924. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Equivalent Circuit Models and Analysis of Electrochemical Impedance Spectra of Caffeine Solutions and Beverages." Bhattacharya, Gourav, Ashish Mathur, Srikanta Pal, James McLaughlin, and Susanta Sinha Roy. International Journal of Electrochemical Sciences 11 (2016): 6370-6386. (Impact Factor: 1.692)
- "Multifunctional reduced graphene oxide coated cloths for oil/water separation and antibacterial application." Upadhyay, Ravi Kant, Amrita Dubey, Prashant R. Waghmare, Richa Priyadarshini, and Susanta Sinha Roy. RSC Advances 6, no. 67 (2016): 62760-62767. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Grape extract assisted green synthesis of reduced graphene oxide for water treatment application." Upadhyay, Ravi Kant, Navneet Soin, Gourav Bhattacharya, Susmita Saha, Anjan Barman, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Materials Letters 160 (2015): 355-358. (Impact Factor: 2.437)
- "Optical, structural, catalytic and electrochemical properties of the Au nanoparticles synthesized using CTAB based gels." Ravi Kant Upadhyay, Sujit Deshmukh, Susmita Saha, Anjan Barman, Susanta Sinha Roy. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 26 no 10 (2015): 7515-7522. (Impact Factor: 1.798)
- “Fast and facile preparation of CTAB based gels and their applications in Au and Ag nanoparticles synthesis.” Ravi Kant Upadhyay, Navneet Soin, Susmita Saha, Anjan Barman, Susanta Sinha Roy. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 156 (2015): 105-112. (Impact Factor: 2.101)
- "Diameter control of single wall carbon nanotubes synthesized using chemical vapor deposition." Soumyendu Roy, Reeti Bajpai, Navneet Soin, Susanta Sinha Roy, James A. McLaughlin, and D. S. Misra. Applied Surface Science 321 (2014): 70-79. (Impact Factor: 3.150)
- "Graphene supported graphone/graphane bilayer nanostructure material for spintronics." Ray, Sekhar C., Navneet Soin, Thuto Makgato, C. H. Chuang, W. F. Pong, Susanta Sinha Roy, Sarit K. Ghosh, André M. Strydom, and J. A. McLaughlin. Scientific reports 4 (2014): 3862. (Impact Factor: 5.228)
- "Recent advances in thermoelectric materials and solar thermoelectric generators–a critical review." Sundarraj, Pradeepkumar, Dipak Maity, Susanta Sinha Roy, and Robert A. Taylor. RSC Advances 4, no. 87 (2014): 46860-46874. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Role of graphene/metal oxide composites as photocatalysts, adsorbents and disinfectants in water treatment: a review." Upadhyay, Ravi Kant, Navneet Soin, and Susanta Sinha Roy. RSC Advances 4, no. 8 (2014): 3823-3851. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Electrochemical and oxygen reduction properties of pristine and nitrogen-doped few layered graphene nanoflakes (FLGs)." Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Surbhi Sharma, Thomas Thundat, and James A. McLaughlin. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry 17, no. 8 (2013): 2139-2149. (Impact Factor: 2.327)
- "Effects of liquid viscosity, surface wettability and channel geometry on capillary flow in SU8 based microfluidic devices." Mukhopadhyay, Subhadeep, J. P. Banerjee, and Susanta Sinha Roy. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 42 (2013): 30-35. (Impact Factor: 1.956)
- "Oxygen plasma assisted end-opening and field emission enhancement in vertically aligned multiwall carbon nanotubes." Mathur, A., Susanta Sinha Roy, K. S. Hazra, S. Wadhwa, Sekhar Chandra Ray, S. K. Mitra, D. S. Misra, and J. A. McLaughlin. Materials Chemistry and Physics 134, no. 1 (2012): 425-429. (Impact Factor: 2.101)
- "Thickness dependent electronic structure of ultra-thin tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C) films." Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Sekhar Chandra Ray, Patrick Lemoine, Md Anisur Rahman, Paul D. Maguire, Sushanta K. Mitra, and James A. McLaughlin. Thin Solid Films 520, no. 7 (2012): 2909-2915. (Impact Factor: 1.761)
- "Dynamics of liquid droplets in an evaporating drop: liquid droplet “coffee stain” effect." Das, Siddhartha, Prashant R. Waghmare, Meng Fan, Naga Siva Kumar Gunda, Susanta Sinha Roy, and Sushanta K. Mitra. RSC Advances 2, no. 22 (2012): 8390-8401. (Impact Factor: 3.289)
- "Nanocrystalline ruthenium oxide dispersed Few Layered Graphene (FLG) nanoflakes as supercapacitor electrodes." Navneet Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Sushanta K. Mitra, Thomas Thundat, and James A. McLaughlin. Journal of Materials Chemistry 22, no. 30 (2012): 14944-14950. (Impact Factor: 8.262)
- "Structural and surface energy analysis of nitrogenated ta-C films." Rahman, MD Anisur, N. Soin, P. Maguire, R. A. D'Sa, Susanta Sinha Roy, C. M. O. Mahony, P. Lemoine, R. McCann, S. K. Mitra, and J. A. D. McLaughlin. Thin Solid Films 520, no. 1 (2011): 294-301. (Impact Factor: 1.761)
- "A comparative study of the growth, microstructural and electrical properties of multiwall CNTs grown by thermal and microwave plasma enhanced CVD methods." Mathur, A., S. Wadhwa, M. Tweedie, K. S. Hazra, C. Dickinson, Susanta Sinha Roy, S. K. Mitra, D. S. Misra, and J. A. McLaughlin. Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems and Nanostructures 44, no. 1 (2011): 29-36. . (Impact Factor: 1.904)
- "Microstructural and electrochemical properties of vertically aligned few layered graphene (FLG) nanoflakes and their application in methanol oxidation." Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Teck H. Lim, and James AD McLaughlin. Materials Chemistry and Physics 129, no. 3 (2011): 1051-1057. (Impact Factor: 2.101)
- "Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity study of carbon nanotubes and titania nanostructures on human lung epithelial cells." Wadhwa, S., C. Rea, P. O’Hare, A. Mathur, Susanta Sinha Roy, P. S. M. Dunlop, J. A. Byrne, G. Burke, B. Meenan, and J. A. McLaughlin. Journal of hazardous materials 191, no. 1 (2011): 56-61. (Impact Factor: 4.836)
- "Nanoscale surface modifications to control capillary flow characteristics in PMMA microfluidic devices." Mukhopadhyay, Subhadeep, Susanta Sinha Roy, Raechelle A. D'Sa, Ashish Mathur, Richard J. Holmes, and James A. McLaughlin. Nanoscale research letters 6, no. 1 (2011): 1. (Impact Factor: 2.584)
- "Polyacrylate-coated graphene-oxide and graphene solution via chemical route for various biological application." Ray, Sekhar Chandra, Arindam Saha, S. K. Basiruddin, Susanta Sinha Roy, and Nikhil R. Jana. Diamond and Related Materials 20, no. 3 (2011): 449-453. (Impact Factor: 2.125)
- "Enhanced and stable field emission from in situ nitrogen-doped few-layered graphene nanoflakes." Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Soumyendu Roy, Kiran Shankar Hazra, Devi S. Misra, Teck H. Lim, Crispin J. Hetherington, and James A. McLaughlin. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115, no. 13 (2011): 5366-5372. (Impact Factor: 4.509)
- "Enhanced Field Emission and Improved Supercapacitor Obtained from Plasma‐Modified Bucky Paper." Roy, Soumyendu, Reeti Bajpai, Navneet Soin, Preeti Bajpai, Kiran S. Hazra, Neha Kulshrestha, Susanta Sinha Roy, James A. McLaughlin, and D. S. Misra. Small 7, no. 5 (2011): 688-693. (Impact Factor: 8.32)
- "Exploring the fundamental effects of deposition time on the microstructure of graphene nanoflakes by Raman scattering and X-ray diffraction." Soin, Navneet, Susanta Sinha Roy, Christopher O'Kane, James AD McLaughlin, Teck H. Lim, and Crispin JD Hetherington. CrystEngComm 13, no. 1 (2011): 312-318. (Impact Factor: 3.849)
- "Graphene oxide for electrochemical sensing applications." Roy, Soumyendu, Navneet Soin, Reeti Bajpai, D. S. Misra, James A. McLaughlin, and Susanta Sinha Roy. Journal of Materials Chemistry 21, no. 38 (2011): 14725-14731. (Impact Factor: 8.262)
- "Thinning of multilayer graphene to monolayer graphene in a plasma environment." Hazra, K. S., J. Rafiee, M. A. Rafiee, A. Mathur, Susanta Sinha Roy, J. McLauhglin, N. Koratkar, and D. S. Misra. Nanotechnology 22, no. 2 (2010): 025704. (Impact Factor: 3.573)
Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test for the Engineers (GATE), in 1993
Visiting scientist award at the University of Leipzig, Germany (2001)
UKIERI Research award 2006
Invest-Northern Ireland (NI) trade mission participants to India (2007) and USA (2006)
Associate member of Canadian Medical and Biological Engineering Society (2011-1012)
Visiting scientist award at the University of Hasselt, Belgium (2015)